Haddam Connecticut Homes for Sale and Real Estate
One of the most idyllic towns along the Connecticut River, Haddam occupies a total of 44 square miles that spills over the two sides of the river. And, as such, Haddam enjoys a unique status. Alone among all the towns (and cities) that line the river from north to south, the river divides it in two, with Hidden Lake, Higganum, Shailerville and Tylerville on the west side of the river and Haddam Neck on the east side.
Friendly, strong New England ambiance.
Varied, with upscale areas
Casual, community oriented, many commuters
The Connecticut River, history, scenic vistas, large state forests.
Families, getaway homes, nature lovers
Around the Area
The quaint and scenic town is home to the Cockaponset State Forest and the 154-acre Haddam Meadows State Park, which includes a boat launch as well as the usual amenities of hiking, fishing and picnicking.
In 1662, English settlers bought much of the land, and in 1668, they established a settlement called “Haddam,” according to the Haddam Historical Society. “Haddam” was a corruption of the of a village in England (“Much Hadham”) where Connecticut’s first governor, John Haynes, had an estate. Over succeeding generations, Haddam developed shipyards and later small mills and factories, according to the historical society.
In the early 19th century, fishing and quarrying rose in prominence to take their place alongside shipbuilding. The latter half of the 19th century saw the rise of an industrial vision of Haddam, with large-scale manufacturing developed along the river. An all-too-common tale followed. By the mid-20th century, most of the factories had either downsized or simply moved away altogether. In the post-war boom of the 1950s, Haddam turned inward and became a sought-after residential community - which it largely remains to today.
There was one jarring counter-balance to that languid residential community, however.
In 1968, a nuclear power plant the Connecticut Yankee Atomic Power Plant, arose on the east bank of the river. CY, as it was known, continued to generate power until it was closed and ultimately decommissioned in 1996.
The population has remained fairly steady at just over 8,000 residents.
The town includes seven churches. Children are educated in a regional school district, which includes Killingworth.